Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Baby Wearing for the Everyday Mom


As a mother of one, I already notice the benefits of wearing Lilly, my little girl. And, as a nanny to three other child, it's even more apparent. Being able to scoop up my daughter and wear her close to me in my Ergo is fabulous. Not only does she love being up high (at least on me since I'm 5' 11"), I am able to do everything I need to while she's hanging out on my back. :) As a woman who is constantly chasing down a child, being able to give my daughter that one one one time is wonderful. The chance for that closeness with mommy is great for her and I don't feel like I'm missing out either. So you ask what the benefits are of wearing your child? Let's talk about it...

The biggest perk, in my opinion, is the closeness I get to her while I'm wearing her. I'm always on the go and love that mommy and me time, especially for the days when she is really fussy and needy and I still have a ton to accomplish. Being able to put her on my chest and see her calm down is an amazing feeling. I love that it comforts her and allows her to feel safe and secure no matter what is going on around us.


Let's talk accomplishing stuff with a child running under your feet, well, as you all know it's nearly impossible. Dishes aren't happening, vacuuming no way, and laundry... That's a joke, well, not anymore. I'm sure I'm not the only mother whose daughter gets into everything in the kitchen, is terrified of the vacuum and loves to play in freshly folded laundry... in a newly made pile on the floor, by my wide smiled child. :)


So, what do I do? I nurse her, give her a snack, and off to cleaning together we go. She loves watching me and being able to see everything that is going on. And since I don't have to worry about what she is getting into, these chores actually get done. I have the time to accomplish all of that and to go about my day with more time to spend with her.


I have found it to be a wonderful addition to the house since beginning to nanny. A double stroller is so heavy and quite large for my Malibu so it's nice to not have to pack one up to go somewhere. I can use a little stroller for the infant and the Ergo for Lilly. I love not have the bulk of a double stroller in the grocery store, or at the park while I'm trying to play with the girls. Plus, there are times where Lilly wants some Mommy time and I'm able to do that with her without taking it away from the other children.


As a new mom this past year, I didn't think I would need it, I only have 1 child right? Wrong! Leaving the house was nothing less than terrifying when she was born, everything became different, trying to remember this and that. Well this was so easy to remember and use because she was already on me while I was getting everything else together. It takes up no space in my car and is so convenient for us. I am able to keep Lilly close and prevent her from grabbing a hold of everything in every isle while I'm shopping. Plus, during flu and cold season, that closeness allows me too move quickly and be done in no time, making for less time in a busy supermarket.


I'll admit I was skeptical at first, but now, I love it. I couldn't imagine life without my baby being worn on me. As an owner of a Beco, Ergo, and Moby Wrap, I say give it a shot, you have nothing to lose! Maybe you'll find the love of babywearing as I have!


They are now offering places to rent different styles so that you can learn what you love before purchasing them. Plus, the website will give you the opportunity to learn more about each style and the different perks to each one. Try going to Granola Babies for more information on renting a carrier.

No comments: