Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010


Celebrate World Breastfeeding Week!




Ok, honestly, I think that if you are a breastfeeding mom, it should be celebrated on a daily basis. There is nothing better for baby. Nothing compares to the bond that you get from having your baby placed on your chest for the first time and watching her do the breast crawl. That was probably the most amazing thing I have seen. I gave birth to my 4th child via c-section, so getting her placed on my chest as soon as I got to recovery was important to me, and the hospital knew it and they complied. The nurse was great. She put Emmaleigh on my bare chest and said "Now, you just watch" and Emmaleigh slowly lifted her minutes old head up, and inched her way towards my breast to latch on! That will be forever etched in my mind.
My daughter is now nearly 1 year old, still nursing at least 4 times a day, plus during the night. I am one tired mama! lol I've wanted to quit many times. After taking domperidone to up my supply for a few months, to pumping while I returned to my part time job for a few months. Having my husband feed her with a baby medicine dropper because she was too stubborn to take a bottle- yes, ridiculous!! I think I've drinken more water than anyone should in a lifetime. I've had my fair share of lactation cookies that I honestly don't care if I ever see those things again! But, even with all my problems, I am glad I made it to a year. I've tried to be a witness to those struggling with first time breastfeeding, or those having issues. Lord knows I've had my share of issues as well.
This week marks World Breastfeeding Week. How will you celebrate your breastfeeding experience? I challange you to help a new mom, or give information to a pregnant mom. We need to make a stand for a baby friendly world.
All week I will be posting various breastfeeding topics and information. I hope that it will encourage you to keep breastfeeding, or give you the information you need to make an informed decision during your pregnancy!


No comments: